The Dobbs Ferry Historical Society is pleased to announce the availability of one college scholarship in the amount of $500 to a graduating high school senior who plans to enroll in an accredited college or university and who lives in Dobbs Ferry or the Dobbs Ferry School District.
This scholarship is made available in honor of the Society’s President Emerita Dr. Mary Sudman Donovan, an accomplished professor and historian who presided over the Society for many years.
It must be certified that the applicant:
- is not an immediate relative of a Society Trustee
- demonstrates a strong interest in American history or more specifically Dobbs Ferry history
And the applicant:
- will participate in a qualifying interview with the Scholarship Committee of the Dobbs Ferry Historical Society, if asked and
- submits a complete application including official transcripts, recommendation letters and a brief essay related to the field of history (with specific details on application)
The Scholarship Committee, consisting of Trustees of the Dobbs Ferry Historical Society, will select and recommend one applicant for this scholarship to the entire Board of Trustees of the Dobbs Ferry Historical Society. After thorough review, the Board of Trustees shall confirm the final selection of the scholarship awardee.
The scholarship will be presented at a meeting of the Society Trustees.
All materials must be submitted to the Society no later than March 1, 2019.
Electronic submissions may be made using the form below.
Hard copy may be sent via US Mail or presented in person to:
The Dobbs Ferry Historical Society
12 Elm Street
Dobbs Ferry NY 10522
Dobbs Ferry Historical Society Mary Sudman Donovan Scholarship Application
- Name of Student:
- Student Email:
- Permanent Address:
- College/University and Major (if decided)
Please provide :
- One letter of recommendation from an American History or American Studies teacher.
- An essay between 400-750 words on one woman in American History and her contributions to our country.
- A school transcript
File types accepted:
- Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf)
- Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx,)
This scholarship will be awarded to a high school senior planning to attend an accredited college or university.
Only one winner will be chosen and notified following approval by the Board of Trustees at the Dobbs Ferry Historical Society. Scholarship must be used within one year of date of award or it is forfeited. The winning essay will be printed in the Historical Society’s publication, The Ferryman and will also appear on the Historical Society’s web site, http://www.dobbsferryhistory.org.